old website logo

Yom Rishon, 7 Iyyar 5778

History of Emanuel Jacob Congregation

 

Emanuel Jacob, a combined name of the former Temple Emanuel and B’nai Jacob, was the result of a merger in 1987. Members of both communities worked to develop a congregation with a single purpose. Developing a philosophy of tradition and modernity, the congregation seeks to reach those new to North Central Ohio area as well as those who have not been touched by our programming.

 

Our building is located at the corner of Cook Road and Larchwood Road in southwest Mansfield, Ohio. Near the interstate, we can reach the larger Jewish communities in Columbus, Cleveland and Akron for additional resources.

 

We serve members in Ashland, Galion, Crestline, Bucyrus, Shelby and Bellville as well as the Mansfield-Lexington-Ontario area.

 

In 1870, a few Jewish families established Temple Emanuel in a house near what is now the central city. The congregation grew, finally building on Cook Road in 1946. In 1979, the members moved into B’nai Jacob’s building.

 

In 1927, another group of families organized a conservative Synagogue and built the present facility in 1958. The only full time Rabbi Temple Emanuel hired was Rabbi Milton Greenwald, an emeritus Rabbi, for just a few years. B’nai Jacob’s first Rabbi was David Rub, hired in 1927.

 

 

The Building

 

The dedication of the 1958 structure saw the members of B’nai Jacob move from a house into the then modern facility on Cook Road. The building went through extensive remodeling in 1991 to update the heating and air-conditioning systems, add storage, modernize the sanctuary and social halls and improve the Torah School wing. In addition, a kosher kitchen, library and Judaica shop are housed there.